Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Albany, NY

Put the ruby slippers away I am in quilt shop heaven! We had a wonderful day making our way to Albany by shop hopping. We went to two great shops and found lovely, lovely fabric! I am organizing my stash tonight so I know what I still need. It makes me wish I had my sewing machine with me. (I did see a really cute travel machine today and I had to get out of the store so I would stop drooling on it!)

Our first stop was in Pine Bush, NY at Quilter's Attic. Located in an big house they had an entire room dedicated to reproduction fabrics. It was great fun. I picked out all the fabric I would need for a Log Cabin quilt. Many people think the Log Cabin quilt with a black center was hung out to tell escaping slaves that this house was a safe place to stop. We were blessed to have sales clerk Karen help us figure, re figure and then figure again to decide on the best combination of fabrics. I am thrilled with the choices we made.

Our next stop was in Ravena, NY at Log Cabin Fabrics. It was in a - you guessed it - log cabin! I found several fabrics for borders and background neutrals. The sales clerk was very helpful and she directed us on to another fabric store in Glen Falls.

Before heading to Glen Falls we made a stop in Albany at a house that had been a stop on the UGRR that was currently being restored. It was easy to find but in a super crummy neighborhood. We pulled up in front, I stepped out of the van, snapped a picture, jumped back in the car and off we went. I had my fill of yucky neighborhoods from Philadalephia and DC!

The store in Glen Falls was in a neat old manufacturing building filled with other artsy shops. We arrived after closing and considered spending the night in Glen Falls and then when we looked at our schedule decided it would not be a good use of time. So we were off to Lake Placid.

The drive to Lake Placid was simply beautiful. The mountains, the lakes, streams, rocks, rivers, wow! Tomorrow we are going to John Brown's farm and gravesite.

3 comments:

  1. beautiful views, lot's of fabric, and the open road. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning the "Storytelling Benches" in Philadelphia. I live in Southern New Jersey about 45 minutes from Philly and this will be a great thing to do this summer. I found you through Dawn's blog and look forward to following your adventure. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are having a great time!
    Sharon Gibson

    ReplyDelete